Friday 20 April 2007

She Surfaces, With TV Addictions

Apologies. A mixture of headcold's, migraines, period pains, Easter holidays, essays and general malaise caused me to neglect my readers from my rambles. But I'm back, and hopefully it won't be another month til I post again!

Firstly I must do a small praise of the wonderful Lisa Gerrard, who I was lucky enough to see live about two weeks ago. She was absolutely beautiful, singing angelically to a sold out audience. After many standing ovations we were graced with two encores, and I got some fantastic photos:



If you'd like to see the rest of my photos of Lisa or others I have taken in general, go here

Over the past couple of weeks I decided a few things. I post mostly about media related items - music, TV shows, actors, films etc - and that I do more rambling than actual structure to these posts. So I changed the title of the page to make it more appropriate for what it is, don'tcha think?

Speaking of media related things though I have been addicted to several TV shows not available to us, sadly, in Australia but thankfully to the beauty of downloading piracy I have been considerably entertained for the past couple of weeks. If you need something new to watch, something to suck you in for a couple of days to a couple of weeks - look for these:

Ideal

A British dark comedy series that my partner stumbled across. It's centred around Moz, a overweight weed dealer and all the characters that he encounters via his business. Instead of the focus being on drug culture, it is instead on how people lives are connected via the a same interest. The characters he deals to are pretty unique and very, very funny. If you like black British humour, I highly recommend this.


Reno 911!

Another gem my lovely partner stumbled across, except this is an American Comedy Central series which is based around the Reno Sheriff's Department in Nevada. Set up just like cops, where camera follow the police around on their daily shifts, this follows a bumbling more realistic, lazy police force that grow on you. If you like shows like Trailer Park Boys, you'll like this immensely. They also did a film recently, which is also very funny.

Trailer Park Boys

I believe you can see this on Comedy Central here but we've been getting series seven, fresh from Canada. And boy is it funny so far. No more Trevor and Corey though. Though still many dodgy, greasy things going on with Ricky. Highly recommended show, one of the best I've ever seen. About the residents of Sunnyvale Trailer Park, especially Ricky, Julian and Bubbles. There's drinking, nudity, swearing, bad grammar, guns, weed, kitties and so many more funnier things. Just... go watch.

As for other shows, here's what I have to say about my regulars:

Lost
This is now just dragging on too long and making me lose interest. The deal with the 'others' keeps getting complicated, and I really just want to know why they're still there. That's all. I can see this being dragged out for another season, at least, maybe even up to 6 series. So we know there's two islands, there's two types of others and there's getting to be divisions in the survivor camp.

Heroes
I wish this would hurry up and come back on air, since we've been left at a cliffhanger. What is going to happen to Mohinder, what about Sylar, the cheerleader....? So many unanswered questions. Currently I have a debate with my partner whether or not they'll drag this out for a few seasons too. I do like the comic book aspect of this show though, and it's got great dramatic tension.

House
Two things are standing out to me lately about House. One - wonky, distorted vision always signifies someone is sick. Two - House has a thing for Cuttey. Also, I'm curious as to who the second antagonist will be for the latest series (3rd) as the police dude has been and gone. The cases are interesting, but nothing overly mind boggling. Chase and Cameron are also engaged in real life (meaning Jesse Spencer and Jennifer Morrison) which could be reason to why they're a bit cosy on the show.

Supernatural
In the realm of supernatural things, I still prefer The X-files but Supernatural has its moments. Though I find it amusing that the boys solution for every demon/ghost/ghoul/spirit and so on is to salt and burn the bones. Without fail, at least once in every episode the salt-and-burn-bones gets offered as a solution. There must be more ways to vanquish spirits.

Desperate Housewives
Or as I call it 'Desperate Muchachos'. I gotta admit, the recent series ain't so bad. Though Teri Hatcher completely shits me, as does her character of Susan, the rest are their usual bored, oversexed 'housewives' with nothing better to do than gossip and snoop. Though this series has divorce, scandal, paedophilia, murder, mystery and intrigue.

The Sopranos
According to my partner, looks like Tony Soprano is probably going to get his comeuppance. Chris's film has been made and it's a good mix of gore and the mob. I believe this is the last series, and these current episodes are an extension to the series to round things up (as happens with most serial narratives).

Hotel Babylon
Although we just finished watching series 2 (only 8 episodes), I highly recommend this show cos I'm addicted to the scandal of the hotel industry. Based on a tell all novel about the hotel industry, the series is set in the fictional Hotel Babylon in London and its core staff, and what events happen there. There's tabloids, bad football stars orgies, drugs, money, fame, and lots and lots of sex. Highly recommended book, if you want an easy read for a day, and show. If only they'd show it on TV here again.


That should be enough entertainment there, if you're bored of whats on your normal box. If you're familiar with bit torrent programs, you're bound to find all of the above listed shows on one of many torrent sites.

Until next post, I shall bid you adieu and happy viewing.

<3 Blackberry Moose




No comments: