Friday 2 March 2007

Sociology Lives Online

There are many things in life that are important; information that needs to be passed on and on and on round the the world until the message is made obvious. Sociology is a fascinating topic, especially since everyday life, human behaviour and the interactions between both are what makes up most of the day to day humdrum of society. And how our modern society is now is even more fascinating.

I've watched a fair amount of documentaries about peak oil and gas, the Iraq war, 'terrorism' and other related topics over the past year or so, and more recently watched one about private corporations involvement in this Iraq war going on. It's disgusting how much money is generated, and how much the government has to pay for corporations like Halliburton to run below average services. Anyway, that's off the topic a bit. What is on the topic is how much the Internet is filled with useful and insightful information related to the above social and economic problems humankind is facing.

The last week I've been surfing online and come across some great sites I'd like to share with you, that hopefully will enlighten and inform you all like it has for me. Some are amusing, some are scarily informative, and others are use interesting. So now, onto the site listing....

Peak Oil, Apocalyptic, Cloning and Population Related Sites:

Peak Oil: Life After the Oil Crash
My friend sent me this link to look at a while ago, and it drew me in pretty much. It's scary, not in a graphical or gruesome way but just how humankind is heading towards. The site tells you how it is, and how we'll be effected due to the oil reserves becoming all used up. I recommend this site for a great source of chilling information. Be warned though, your outlook of life might change.

World Overpopulation Awareness
Overpopulation and population control is what I'm all about, in a nutshell. It's what I'm working towards at school and hopefully in a career - informative family planning, future overpopulation prevention and population control. So I know this is me pushing my own agenda, but it is a really important topic that needs more discussion and promotion across the globe. After global warming/climate change, this will become the next major issue humans face. This site is very informative, about actions taken across the globe currently and future endeavours. Hopefully it'll open some eyes to what our future could hold unless we discuss how to lower the birth rates.

The Volunatary Human Extinction Movement
This is not everyones cup of tea, but it's interesting to say the least. It's a group of people, a movement really, who pledge to not to procreate or not to procreate anymore than they already have. It talks about some interesting concepts dealing with birth and death rates, and basically trying to save the human species by maintain a period of no procreation to level out humans impact on the Earth. I found this site really interesting, and the concept I support. But don't hate me because I do, it's all voluntary - no one has taken away your right to give birth yet! Still, kudos to those who are willing to not add to the billions that inhabit this planet already.

Exit Mundi: A Collection of End-of-World Scenarios
Another friend sent me this link, and I had a great time giggling at the possible outcomes of humans. Its basically a collective of apocalyptic and doomsday predictions we face. Mostly seemingly satirical, there is also a truth behind a lot of the listed predictions. For example, in 2007 the Earth is meant to be sucked into a black hole that we created in a lab in Switzerland. It may not happen, but the research to create black holes is. Go look and see when we will all be destroyed.

Clonaid
Ok so this both scares and amuses me. Scares me because if it is true, then that's a scary road to go down. Amuses me because it is run by a group of Raelians - if you don't know about the coo-coo Raelian religion, go here. Basically the site is a company that claims to have cloned humans, 13 in fact, and will clone one for you at a hefty price of over $200,000 USD. Yet there is no proof of their clones, to the disappointment of the UN and US government (who have been trying to suss out if Clonaid is true or now). The fact that an extreme cult like religion claims to have cloned humans is rather unnerving, more so than the fact that humans could have possibly been cloned. They promote the idea of being about to live immortally, which personally creeps me out. Anyway, go check it out for yourself and see what you make of it.


So enough depressing things for now. I personally like reading the morbid, but I can see why it's not everyone's cup of tea. If you have found related sites that I might become absorbed in, please send them over. Otherwise, I hope you find some sound information in those listed above.

<3


No comments: