Monday 5 March 2007

Praise Be to the Shower Products

So this blog is about pop culture, I should include more than just media related items. Although I have quite a large fondness for media - being music, TV, film, books, websites yadda yadda yadda - there is more to pop culture than what the media has to dictate. Today I decided it's about time I gave praise to some girly things. Yes, that's right - girly. I, being a girl, should indulge and praise the femme side of moi, which I don't nearly do as much as the next girl. I believe it's about time I did.

Today's girly praise is going to be for wonderful, delicious, lovely smelling shower things! What am I talking about? Shampoo, soap, conditioner, cleansers... the works! Things to make your skin feel brand new, fresh and so clean, and leave you smelling like buttercups and cupcakes.

I recently decided to treat myself to some 'expensive' (by my standards, anything over $6) products in order to help with the shocking condition of my hair and skin. After walking past the shop many times and being invited in with their overpowering wonderful smells, I ventured into Lush to spoil myself for the first time in a veeeeerrrry long time. Lush is wonderful - not too pricey and natural ingredients are used. Their products smell divine and leave you feeling environmentally friendly and super clean. While there I indulged myself in some fantastic shampoo, lovely light conditioner, some sweet smelling body jelly (soap, but in jelly form) and a fresh face cleanser. They have left me feeling so clean I think it's about time I gave them some praise:




'Big' Shampoo - the hair revitaliser
I have been every colour hair dye has to offer, and as much as I am proud of my colourful lock adventures, it has left my hair pretty worn out, damaged and fine. For a while I was using various shampoo's found at my local supermarket, never really venturing to splash out past what Safeway or Coles had to offer. The end result was my hair being limp and stripped of it's black dye (once you go black, you never go back). The split ends were building up and there wasn't much volume or texture to the mop on my head. Then I came across this - this wonderful shampoo that cleans, replenishes, adds volume (I always wondered why they call it volume) and also massages your scalp. 'Big', designed to breathe life back into the follicles. It makes your hair shine so much that it blinds people. It's like someone has turned up the volume in my hair to 10. It's truly wonderful. And the best bit - chunks of sea salt that feel great on your skull, massaging away all the dead bits clinging to you for dear life. With real lime juice, coconut oil, sea salt and seaweed, it smells divine and probably tastes alright too. If you're like me and need a kick with your hair, go buy this for around $26 for 330g


Veganese Conditioner - Light and Lemony
For years as a teenager I didn't see the point in conditioner, but as an adult I now do. For me it mainly helps with untangling my hair without too much pain or brushing involved. Most conditioners I've used in the past have been really oily feeling, laden with oodles of moisturising agents. Veganese, however, is different. It's lighter and not so oily, and smells deliciously of lemon. And like the name suggests, it's totally vegan. A good ender to the washing hair routine.



Herbalism Face Cleanser
I've done my time with skin stripping face cleansers, or ones that are all talk but not much show. I often have bad breakouts, usually due to hormonal imbalances at certain times of the month, and as much as I sadistically enjoy destroying these red dots of doom, I'm starting to not want to destroy my skin anymore. Herbalism is a clay - you take a small bit, rub it in your hands with water and then go crazy all over your face with the green concoction. It has almond meal and rice bran to rub away the dead skin, flower petals, rosemary and chamomile, and powdered herbs all wrapped up in china clay. It's gentle but effective. It's lovely smelling and easy to use. And lasts you a long time. I'm yet to try the other types of cleansers they have, but was told this would be the best for my skin type. I agree for now :)


Sweetie Pie Shower Jelly
I saw this and thought I just had to try it. It's an odd concept - jelly soap. And I mean jelly (or jello for you Americans) like the wobbly uber sweet kind you can eat. This, however, I don't think you can eat, even tho it smells delicious and very sweet like cupcakes and candy. The jelly is an interesting idea - you can freeze it, chill it, or just use it at room temperature (I recommend the freezing of it). It wobbles, it cleans, it feels oddly nice against your skin and leaves you smelling like candy and sweetness. Try it out, you'll love it!

So there is my homage to the shower products that have recently made my shower-time wonderful. I actually look forward to getting clean and fresh everyday, no matter how pissweak the water pressure from my showerhead is. If you have Lush store in your city, I implore you to go look, try and buy from them. Or if not, try their online shopping.

Speaking of showering, it's time for mine now so I bid you adieu.

<3



2 comments:

Gala Darling said...

A tip! Wash your hair two times with Big to make it really, uh, big. Haha. Once will just clean it, but if you apply twice in one shower it'll puff up with all the salt!

Blackberry Moose said...

Ooer thanks, I'll have to try that. It gives me a big puff as it is, but I could always go bigger!
You used to work for Lush didn't you?