Saturday 17 March 2007

Music For Feeling Like You've Gotten A Scholarship

Today, as much as my head is still sore, I've had some wonderful news so I've been stuck in a pretty happy mood. The wonderful news = I just got granted a scholarship for the next four years at while I finish my course at university, which is just peachy for me since I wasn't really looking forward to having to work three to four days a week just to be able to survive better.

No real reason for mentioning about my good news, more so just because I'm grinning ear to ear at the moment and thought I should share this blissful feeling. So on that note, I think my songs this week should be catered to the idea of feeling happy, upbeat, and blissful.

10 Songs to Make You Feel Uber Wonderful:

The Polyphonic Spree - Reach For The Sun
I don't think it's possible to feel anything but happy when The Polyphonic Spree are playing. It's odd but their music is just so... positive. The ultimate in hippy choirs. And one hell of a live band to see (I had the pleasure of seeing them in 2005 and still remain in my top 10 live acts I've attended) if you get the change, I recommend it. This song has a moment where all these orchestra instruments flood into the song, which strangely reminds me of animals in the wild, and sunshine. Don't ask why, it just does. It also makes me feel quite uplifted too, no matter what situation, like a wave of serenity washing over moi. Hopefully it'll do the same to you.

Nicola Conte - Fuco Fatuo (remixed by Koop, sung by Earl Zinger)
Possibly one of my all time favourite songs, I lovingly refer to it as the 'one in one out' song since I didn't know the actual title for a long time. Nicola Conte is a famous Italian jazz pianist, and Koop are a famous downtempo/jazz/acidjazz group - together they make beautiful music. Earl Zinger provides fantastic raspy vocals, singing about trying to get into a club, Noah's Ark, and being told it was a night where you had to come in two's - a play on the idea of the biblical Noah and his famous ark. All I can say is listen to this piece of jazz, it's divine. Though it may not seem too bliss-inducing to many of you, I love this song more than words can express :)

Common - Pop's Rap III... All My Children
My partner and I debate often about whether the music for this song is based on a Fela Kuti song, since it sounds incredibly similar. Unlike Common's other tracks, being him rapping, this song is actually Common's dad speaking over the top of a great backing track (with vibraphone!). The message is great, giving praise and love to his children. And with a son like Common, you'd be a proud dad. Even without Pop's rapping over the top, the music stands up perfectly on its own. Cruisy jazz, almost in loops.

Earl Zinger - Escape From Ibiza
This is kinda like big band samba with a British guy singing over the top, kinda like music that could be accompanied by go go dancers. But the beauty to this song is the actual story told via the lyrics of the song. Zinger tells the story of a trip to Ibiza, and eventually trying to get off the island. There are immense amounts of Ibiza references to clubs, DJ's, the crowds, drugs and assorted tid bits. By the end Zinger sounds desperate to get off the island and you kinda feel sorry for him. Still, the story is funny as hell and well done. If you can name all the references, please let me know! According to my partner, the Ibiza references are pretty spot on.

Hird - Keep You Kimi
One of my old housemates loved this song to bits, and often it would be playing in our lounge. He passed the love onto me. A jazzy piece with a bop, some double bass and beautiful vocals by Yukimi Nagano (who strangely sounds more like a soul singer than a Japanese girl). The keyboard over the top sounds more like drops of water than a keyboard. Hird are a Swedish act that create downtempo/jazz tunes, beautiful sounding and very relaxed - otherwise called cafe/lounge music. Often they use Miss Yukimi as well. The song's words are pretty, and would work as a good soundtrack to city life at night time I think. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it's just music to drink something to. Either way, Kimi will get to you :)

Jazztronik - Arabesque
Jazztronik is a Japanese DJ who ultimately creates latin-influenced jazz creations. My partner came across Jazztronik about a year or so ago and we both fell in love with his albums. Normally in each of his songs there is a variety of musical influences, and Arabesque is no different. It sounds like a mash of Japanese scales, flamenco, gypsy music, tribal percussion and electronica. There are flutes, there's clapping, samples of scatting, violins, and pianos amongst other sounds. It sounds very similar to 'Spain' by Chick Corea in some parts. I wonder if that was an influence. I suggest finding more Jazztronik songs if you like this, you won't be disappointed.

Yma Sumac - Gopher
This is my praise for my total love of what I like to call cocktail music. The mondo/exotica period of music from the 1950's, big band and calypso like. Yma Sumac was the voice of many mondo songs of that time, with her voice having one of the largest vocal ranges of the 20th century (more so than Mariah Carey). You would know her voice, her songs, this one included, are famous for being in TV programs, ads and films. She is of Peruvian decent, and just divine. I wish I could be miss Sumac, and then go sing with Pink Martini. Defiantly good music to drink cocktails to while swooning around in beehives.

Sublime - 5446 Thats My Number/Ball and Chain
There's always those bands you grow up with, that give you some meaning to your teenage life and that is the fundamental band all your friends love. Sublime is that band for me, and to this day my high school friends and me still love all their songs - reminds us all of many parties and teenage shenanigans. This song is partly original, partly a cover (5446 originally is a famous reggae song by Toots & The Maytals) and is two songs put together as one. Probably my favourite song off their first album (40oz To Freedom, highly recommended) and an all time classic uplifter for me. Sublime were a reggae/dub/punk/acoustic/funk/hip hop trio that were, like the name states, sublime until the singer Brad Nowell died of a heroin overdose in 1996. Pity, he was a gem :/ Anyhoo this is a mixture of reggae and ska, with a touch of punk and dub.

Hedwig and the Angry Inch - Sugar Daddy
So this is a song from the fictional band, and subject of the wonderful film Hedwig and the Angry Inch. I sometimes forget that Hedwig is just a character, and not a real person. Pity, I do adore Hedwig so much. This song is basically a country sounding song, sung by the transsexual that is Hedwig, about a sugar daddy. This is by far one of my favourite Hedwig songs, and somehow always makes me smile on the bus. If you've not seen Hedwig and the Angry Inch - go see it! A rock musical odyssey about a transsexual's life and botched sex job (hence the 'angry inch'). One of my all time favourite films, and a must see-and-sing-along.

Eric Sartie - Je Te Veux
Eric Sartie is a famous 19th/20th century French composer, with many famous pieces. This, however, is my favourite piece by him. To describe it simply, it reminds me of bike riding through villages and countryside in France on a warm day. That's probably the best way to describe this piece, a warm Frenchy bike riding song. With just a sole piano, it's enough to sooth the savage beast. I wish I could play piano like this, but alas I'm just too impatient.


So there's 10 songs for your audio pleasure. I think the next time I'll have a theme. Maybe the greatest intro's of songs... I could think of a few there. Or maybe the best of cocktail oddity music. Stay tuned, same bat time, same bat channel.


<3

2 comments:

Gala Darling said...

Congratulations darling!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic! Congratulations, good on ya =)...ps i always wait for the music you put up, i love it and have found loads of stuff i didnt know about. good stuff
luv Laila x